One Little Native American and His (Her?) Teepee/Lodge

I'm just loving the cute little peg dolls I see popping up on blogs here and there, and I managed to pick up a little bag of them at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.  I stared at them a bit, then last week when Little Flower launched into a discourse on Thanksgiving and what she'd learned at school about Native Americans, inspiration struck. 

The lodge (aka teepee, but I guess they're rightly called lodges, just as my childhood song '1 little, 2 little, 3 little Indians' is now '1 little, 2 little, 3 little Native Americans') is constructed of bamboo skewers with the pointy tips cut off (I'm reserving them for a future 'campfire' with felt 'flames').  I tied it with thread then set it in a 'teepee' shape and thoroughly glued the intersecting skewers together.  The 'skins' covering the outside are actually a bit of natural muslin.  I first cut it into a circle, then cut a wedge out (about 1/3 of the circle) and cut a small circle out of the center.  Little Flower decorated it with pictographs she learned about at school, then it was glued and stitched on (see, above the doorflap?). 



My little Native person was originally supposed to be a boy (hence the feathers in the hair, I seem to recall that girls don't get feathers), but everyone else decided that she's a girl.  What do you think?  Either way, I'm sure he/she will make a nice addition to our Thanksgiving table!

One Little Native American and His (Her?) Teepee/Lodge SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend