- 6 c rolled oats
- 2 c crisp rice cereal (we use crisp brown rice, or you can use extra oats)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c total any combination of the following: maple syrup, honey, or corn syrup
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 3/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 tsp: ground cinnamon or cardamom (optional)
- 1 tsp: vanilla, almond, coconut, or other extract (optional)
- up to 2 c: raisins, craisins, or dried blueberries, or chopped dried dates, apricots, mangos, shredded coconut etc. (optional)
- up to 1 c: chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, or pine nuts (optional)
- 1/2 c flax seeds, whole or ground (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Combine the dry ingredients (except sugar) in a large bowl and stir it up. Mix everything else in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat (let it cool a bit first if you're letting a child stir to coat). Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets.
- Bake until crispy and toasted, about 20 minutes. Stir once halfway through.
- Let cool and break apart.
What have you been cooking up lately?