Very Best Raspberry Coffee Cake/Danish Braid



I stumbled across a recipe at Confeesions of a Bakeaholic a few months ago and was smitten. Okay, so it was in March, as in nine months ago. I wanted to make it, but it was so lovely I thought that it would be a bit too much for a weekend morning.

I could not have been more wrong.

Even with three little helpers running cirles around me before seven a.m. and the need to improvise (I don't keep bisquick around), it was done before my husband rolled out of bed. That, and it was delicious. I'm planning to make at least one more this last week of vacation, perhaps with a bit of sweetened cream cheese filling?

Raspberry Coffee Cake (I think it's more danish than cake, but does the name really matter?)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3 oz cream cheese (cold)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup raspberry jam
fresh or frozen raspberries

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cream cheese, and butter in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the sharp blade. Pulse in short bursts (15-20) until it has the texture of cornmeal with some larger, pea-sized chunks. Add milk and pulse until dough forms. (Alternately, combine ingredients in a bowl and cut together with a pastry blender or two knives, then stir in milk with a fork).


Dump dough onto sheet of parchment paper, then knead gently until it comes together (I like to fold, then pat it out, fold, pat--it makes it flaky and tender without making too much gluten). Roll dough out to a rectangle about 12" by 8". Move parchment and all onto rimmed cookie sheet.
Spread jam down the center of the rectangle. Sprinkle with raspberries (I used frozen mixed berries and it was great).


Using a knife, cut into center (to filling) every inch or so.
Bring cut pieces together into middle over jam and pinch together.
Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.

Drizzle with icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 t almond
milk to drizzling consistency

I've changed the recipe a bit to use flour rather than bisquick, but thanks to Megan for a great recipe!
Very Best Raspberry Coffee Cake/Danish Braid SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend